Twelve years ago, I made a commitment to blog every week and was told that it would be a great way to increase my learning. That sure turned out to be true. Two years ago, I committed to produce a podcast every week and sure enough it had the same effect taking my learning deeper and broader. Pushing me to ask more questions to myself and others.
As we post the 100th podcast, some “thank you’s” are in order: First to my listeners whose 45,000 downloads encourage me to keep producing. An extra thank you for the notes letting me know your thoughts and questions and words of appreciation that you share when we connect face-to-face.
Second to all the authors, educators and students who joined me ‘on air’ to share all your learning with all of us. Lastly, to Joe Jacobs from Nickel City Sound and Media whose major work with recording and editing can make my stumbling sentences or long pauses disappear.
If you haven’t ventured into the world of podcasts to learn while driving, exercising, cleaning, or resting; here are a few of my favorites you might explore.
Conversations with experts and authors:
- Jim Knight and Joellen Killon join me for an exchange of thoughts as an extension of their writing.
- Tom Schimmer shares his thinking on the need to modernize assessment.
- Karen Crouse, the author of Norwich, shared her discoveries from a tiny town with 11 Olympic athletes and the possible connection for teaching and learning.
I loved the podcasts where students joined with their teachers to highlight the impact of learning opportunities:
- Secondary students created a simulation on homelessness that educated their parents as well as themselves. Listen now…
- Elementary students whose engagement in deeper learning led to a redesigned inclusive playground so that it was for “all” students. Listen now…
These podcasts provided specific guidance and modeling for coaches:
- The importance and a model of pre-conferencing.
- Going Fast to Go Slow
- Differentiating Coaching Strategies
More of my pondering to come in podcasts and blogs. Let me know things I should be pondering. Thanks for tuning in.
Would YOU like to be featured on the Steve Barkley Ponders Out Loud Podcast?
Calling all educators, authors, speakers and educational mentors. If you have a topic that you’d like to discuss with Steve, apply today to be featured as a guest. Or, if you have a topic that you’d like Steve to consider talking about please let us know.